Friday, September 30, 2011

Morning Matinees and Memories

Another day, another lazy morning. This morning Lillie woke me up to go outside. At first I was mad...why is it always so hard to wake up in the mornings? I wish I was more of a morning person. But it actually turned out to be a great morning. Austin got up with me and we chopped and diced vegetables to put in the crock pot with our pork roast we got yesterday, which is now simmering and filling our house with delicious smells (don't you just love crock pots? seriously). It will be the perfect supper to accompany the beautiful fall day we are having here. Afterwards, we grabbed some bowls of cereal and our usual morning coffee and settled in for a matinee movie via Netflix. When Austin worked at the movie theater, we kind of got into the habit of going to early morning movies since he worked every other time it was convenient to go see a movie for free (In retrospect, I kind of wish I had taken advantage and gone and seen more movies on my own, even though I felt weird about it at the time). Anyway, I really loved our morning movie dates with popcorn for breakfast and often times the theater to ourselves, so I am glad we can continue this tradition. It might not be the newest movies, but our couches are definitely way more comfortable than the theater chairs :). Anyway, this morning we watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I can't believe this is my first time to watch this movie the entire way though. If you know me, you know I have a tendency to fall asleep during movies. A lot. I guess they kind of relax me...I've even done it in the theater a couple of times (oops!). Anyway, we've started this movie countless times and I have fallen asleep. Every time. But today we watched it the whole thing (Or maybe I should say I, because Austin fell asleep...haha). It was just the kind of movie I love--quirky, insightful, and beautiful. The perfect morning matinee.


I loved the movie because the characters were so honest and real. You could see and feel their humanness, and their love for each other in spite of their flaws Relationships are hard, and can be painful to the point that you want to forget the hurt. You hate each other at points, you are bored of each other and at some points you want out. In the case of Joel and Clementine, they try to erase each other completely. I don't want to give away the ending if you haven't seen it, but it brings a good question to light: would you do it all again if you knew the hurt, the struggles, the hardships you would face? It teaches us to cherish the moments and the memories we have together, no matter how big or small. It also made me want to go to Montauk :). Beautiful story...worth staying awake for.


No comments:

Post a Comment