Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rainy Days, The Perfect Excuse


Don't you just love rainy days? Unless I have something urgent or plans that involve being outside, I absolutely do. I feel like they are the perfect excuse to stay inside without feeling guilty. Because when it's nice outside, you want to take advantage of it, right? Rainy days are the perfect excuse to stay inside, curl up with your favorite blanket, and fall asleep while listening to the rain patter against the window panes. Or, if you're like me, you can open up the windows and let the sound fill the room. I have always loved the sound of rain, I just find it so relaxing (like a built-in sleep machine, right? :))


Today started out very lazily. I slept long and hard after two days of twelve hour shifts. Work, by the way, is going very well. I am becoming more comfortable and confident every day, and am learning so much. For example, this week I had a patient with a history of a teratoma. If you're interested in that kind of thing, you should totally look it up...so interesting. (Although if you're about to eat some lunch, you might want to pass on the pictures!) My favorite part of my job by far is talking with my patients...they all have such interesting stories to tell. I am amazed by the diversity of the patient population that we come in contact with on a day to day basis. In the past week alone, I have had patients who speak Spanish, Ukranian, Russian, and Hindi (and no English, mind you...guess I better be brushing up on my high school Spanish!). New York is such a melting pot of people groups. It's still pretty early, but I love my job more every day. It's true: amazing things are happening here.


Anyway, I slept 12 hours or so and then moved out to the couch and had my coffee and a bagel from Mike's. We were preparing to head out despite the rain, and then we heard a loud crack of thunder (which Austin thought was a gun shot...ahaha, now that would be a "Welcome to New York" moment), so as I always do I opened the windows and curled up with my favorite fleece blanket. It downpoured for only about 15 minutes, and then lightened up. After a while, we decided to venture out (after all, it was my day off). 


There's something so romantic about the city in the rain. I kept thinking of the movie Midnight in Paris (so good, always love Woody Allen) when Gil (Owen Wilson) keeps talking about how he loves the city in the rain (and the final scene)...and thinking how magical this city is as well (although it would be better if I could meet Hemingway or Gertrude Stein like Gil does). The light, the coziness, cuddling up underneath umbrellas...something just does it for me (even if your and hair get wet in the process).


We didn't really have much planned, other than going down to the Lower East Side and checking out the Essex Street Market. It turned out to be such a fun and spontaneous day. First of all, as we were heading to the market, we stumbled upon Economy Candy. I recognized the name on the tiny storefront, and then I remembered I had read something about it years ago in a travel magazine at my grandma's (I kind of have an uncanny memory sometimes). It is filled floor to ceiling with goodies old and new, and was so much fun to browse through!

Essex Street Market was amazing as expected, although many vendors were closed due to the Jewish Holiday (it's kind of weird to me that we have to remember Jewish Holidays now...note to future visitors). We got pork (kind of ironic, I guess)to make a roast tomorrow (we're going to try it with apple cider and onions...I'll keep you posted :)). We will be back, so look forward to future posts!

As we were walking back to the subway, there was another downpour, so we needed to duck into somewhere...and fast. We randomly came upon The Pink Pony, which I had heard of but can't remember where. Anyway, it was the perfect place to hang out and grab a bite as we waited for the rain to pass. The atmosphere was amazing, as in if I had a restaurant it was exactly how I would like to decorate it (despite the name, no ponies and very little pink :) I had the french toast and an iced coffee, while Austin munched on a veggie burger. 



As the rain slowed, we headed out and hopped back on the subway uptown. As we munched on our goodies procured at economy, I couldn't help but be thankful for the perfect excuse of rain. Sometimes we can be ungrateful for the grayness and dreariness that it brings, but to quote one of my favorite movies, "God is in the rain." And so many good "excuses" too.



No comments:

Post a Comment